Author: J. Alexander Rutherford
ISBN: 978-1-989560-73-0 (Paperback); 978-1-989560-74-7 (Hardcover)
Series: Teleioteti Technical Studies
Place: Cambell River, BC Canada
Date Published: October 6, 2023
Cover Design: J. Alexander Rutherford
This book is forthcoming, slated to be released in September or October 2023
To Request a review copy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a church? Are denominations churches? Who has the authority to ordain ministers of the Gospel? How do we determine what a church gathering should look like? These are questions of “polity”,” or the principles and foundations for the organisation and conduct of a church. Nearly 400 years ago, Christians in New England produced a clear articulation of polity based on the Bible, called The Cambridge Platform of Discipline. This document offers much insight into the way God would have churches act. In this book, the author engages with the Bible in the tradition of the Cambridge Platform to offer a new congregational polity, an account of the being and conduct of churches that retrieves the best insights of the Cambridge Platform while attempting to improve upon it in light of the later failings of American congregationalism and the 400 years of Christian reflection on the church that has followed that document.
It is the author’s prayer that this book would help churches engage with the Bible as they think about what it means to be a church and would have the tools to do so with faithfulness and clarity.
View the outline of its contents here.
- Allison, Gregg R. Sojourners and Strangers: The Doctrine of the Church. Crossway, 2012.
- Baxter, Richard. The Reformed Pastor: Updated and Abridged. Edited by Tim Cooper. Wheaton: Crossway, 2021.
- Beale, G. K. A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2011.
- Beale, G. K. Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2012.
- Beale, G. K. “The Role of the Resurrection in the Already-and-Not-Yet Phases of Justification.” In For the Fame of God’s Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper, edited by Sam Storms and Justin Taylor. Wheaton: Crossway, 2010.
- Blaising, Craig A., and Darrell L. Bock. Progressive Dispensationalism. Grand Rapids: Bridgepoint Books, 2000.
- Bucer, Martin. Concerning the True Care of Souls. Translated by Peter Beale. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 2009.
- Burer, Michael H, and Daniel B Wallace. “Was Junia Really an Apostle?: A Re-Examination of Rom 16.7.” New Testament Studies 47, no. 1 (January 2001): 76–91. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0028688501000066.
- Calvin, John. Commentary upon the Acts of the Apostles. Translated by Henry Beveridge. Bellingham: Logos Bible Software, 2010.
- Carson, D. A. “Matthew.” In The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Matthew–Mark (Revised Edition), edited by Tremper Longman III and David E. Garland, Vol. 9. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2010.
- Carson, D. A. Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1987.
- Chester, Tim. Truth We Can Touch: How Baptism and Communion Shape Our Lives. Wheaton, Illinois: Crossway, 2020.
- Clifton, Cliff. How to Start a Residency: Turning Members into Missional Leaders. Alpharetta, GA: New Churches powered by Send Network, 2023.
- Cook, Jerry. The Monday Morning Church. West Monroe, LA: Howard Publishing Co., Inc., 2006.
- Dever, Mark, and Jonathan Leeman. Baptist Foundations: Church Government for an Anti-Institutional Age. B&H Publishing Group, 2015.
- Erickson, Millard J. Christian Theology. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2013.
- Fee, Gordon D. The First Epistle to the Corinthians, Revised Edition. Eerdmans, 2014.
- Frame, John M. Evangelical Reunion: Denominations and the One Body of Christ. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1991.
- Frame, John M. The Doctrine of the Christian Life. A Theology of Lordship 4. Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2008.
- Frame, John M. The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God. A Theology of Lordship. Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 1987.
- Gentry, Peter J., and Stephen J. Wellum. God’s Kingdom through God’s Covenants: A Concise Biblical Theology, 2015.
- Gentry, Peter J., and Stephen J. Wellum. Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants. 2nd Ed. Wheaton: Crossway, 2018.
- Goldsworthy, Graeme. The Goldsworthy Trilogy. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2012.
- Gregory the Great. The Book of Pastoral Rule. St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press “Popular Patristics” Series, no. 34. Crestwood, N.Y: St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 2007.
- Grudem, Wayne. The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today. Revised Edition. Crossway, 2000.
- Harvey, David T. The Plurality Principle: How to Build and Maintain a Thriving Church Leadership Team. Wheaton: Crossway, 2021.
- Haupt, Timothy. “Why John Was Not a Baptist: The 7 Irreconcilable Differences Between John Bunyan and the Baptists.” The Gospel Coalition (blog). Accessed October 10, 2022. https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/evangelical-history/why-john-was-not-a-baptist-the-7-irreconcilable-differences-between-john-bunyan-and-the-baptists/.
- Haupt, Timothy Mark. “The Palace Beautiful: The Evangelical Independent Ecclesiology of John Bunyan.” PhD Thesis, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2022.
- Horton, Michael Scott. The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2011.
- J. Alexander, Rutherford. “Review of Truth We Can Touch.” Teleioteti (blog), April 27, 2020. https://teleioteti.ca/2020/04/27/review-of-truth-we-can-touch/.
- Kraft, Charles H. Christianity in Culture: A Study in Dynamic Biblical Theologizing in Cross-Cultural Perspective. Maryknoll, N.Y: Orbis Books, 1979.
- Ladd, George Eldon. A Theology of the New Testament. Rev. ed., Reprinted. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994.
- Littlejohn, W. Bradford. The Two Kingdoms: A Guide for the Perplexed. Lincoln, NE: Davenant Trust, 2017.
- Long, V. Philips. The Art of Biblical History. Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation, v. 5. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994.
- Marshall, Colin, and Tony Payne. The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift That Changes Everything. Sydney, NSW: Matthias Media, 2021.
- Marshall, Colin, and Tony Payne. The Vine Project: Shaping Your Ministry Culture around Disciple-Making. Sydney, NSW: Matthias Media, 2016.
- Mbewe, Conrad. God’s Design for the Church: A Guide for African Pastors and Ministry Leaders. Wheaton: Crossway, 2020.
- Metzger, Bruce Manning. A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament. 2nd Edition. London; New York, N.Y.: United Bible Societies, 1994.
- Parsons, Mikeal C. Acts. Paideia Commentaries on The New Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2008.
- Piper, John. Brothers We Are Not Professionals A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry. Updated&Expanded. Nashville: B&H, 2013.
- Rushdoony, Rousas J. The Institutes of Biblical Law. 3 vols. Phillipsburg: P & R Pub, 1973.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. God’s Gifts for the Christian Life — Part 1: The Gift of Knowledge. Airdrie, AB: Teleioteti, 2021. https://doi.org/10.60080/xoei5748.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. God’s Kingdom through His Priest-King: An Analysis of the Book of Samuel in Light of the Davidic Covenant. Teleioteti Technical Studies 1. Vancouver: Teleioteti, 2019. https://doi.org/10.60080/bwod1039.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. “Is a Covering Long Hair or Veil? Interpreting 1 Corinthians 11:1-16.” Teleioteti (blog), February 15, 2018. https://teleioteti.ca/2018/02/15/is-a-covering-long-hair-or-veil-interpreting-1-corinthians11/.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. Prevenient Grace: An Investigation into Arminianism. 2nd Revised Ed. Teleioteti Technical Studies 2. Vancouver: Teleioteti, 2020. https://doi.org/10.60080/abac3913.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. “Review of The Plurality Principle – Teleioteti Book Reviews.” Teleioteti, 2021. https://www.teleioteti.ca/2021/07/06/review-of-the-plurality-principle/.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. The Gift of Revelation: A Biblical Perspective on the Bible. God’s Gifts for the Christian Life – Part 2: The Gift of Truth, I. Airdrie, AB: Teleioteti, 2021. https://doi.org/10.60080/xoei5748.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. The Trinity and the Bible: How All Scripture Testifies to One God in Three Persons. Teleioteti Technical Studies 3. Campbell River, BC: Teleioteti, 2022. https://doi.org/10.60080/icek2375.
- ———. “Towards a Biblical Theology of Satan’s Kingdom.” Teleioteti Journal for Christian Ministry 01, no. 01 (June 15, 2023): 42–52. https://doi.org/10.60080/owel1193.
- Rutherford, J. Alexander. “Whose Fall? What Hellenism? Christianity’s Fall into Hellenistic Philosophy Revisited.” The Teleioteti Journal for Christian Ministry 1, no. 1 (2023): 1–40. https://doi.org/10.60080/cliw1201.
- Sande, Ken. The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2004.
- Strauch, Alexander. Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church Leadership. Rev. and Expanded. Littleton, CO: Lewis and Roth Publishers, 1995.
- VanDrunen, David. Divine Covenants and Moral Order: A Biblical Theology of Natural Law. Emory University Studies in Law and Religion. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2014.
- VanDrunen, David. Living in God’s Two Kingdoms: A Biblical Vision for Christianity and Culture. Crossway, 2010.
- VanDrunen, David. Natural Law and the Two Kingdoms: A Study in the Development of Reformed Social Thought. Emory University Studies in Law and Religion. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010.
- Walker, Williston, ed. The Creeds and Platforms of Congregationalism. New ed. New York: Pilgrim Press, 1991.
- Wilson, Douglas. Empires of Dirt: Secularism, Radical Islam, and the Mere Christendom Alternative. Moscow, ID: Canon Press, 2016.
- Windsor, Lionel. “Preachers and Leaders.” In Women, Sermons, and the BIble: Essays Interacting with John Dickson’s Hearing Her Voice, edited by Peter Bold and Tony Payne. Sydney: Matthias Media, 2014.
- Witt, William G. Icons of Christ: A Biblical and Systematic Theology for Women’s Ordination. Waco: Baylor University Press, 2021.